Ingredients & Directions
Tomatoes and Olives
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, cut into eight wedges
- 5 oz. jar pitted Greek olives
- 8 thyme sprigs, leaves removed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
sea salt to taste
- 1⅓ cups lentils (I used 1 cup lentils and 1/3 cup red lentils)
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 12 oz. jar artichoke hearts, sliced
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- ⅔ cup crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
freshly ground black pepper to taste
garnish with avocado slices, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
Line a medium size baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the tomatoes skin side down. Drain olives and add to lined pan. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with thyme leaves and sea salt. Roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Cook the lentils according to package directions for approximately 20 minutes.
While the lentils are cooking, place the red onion in a small bowl and pour over red wine vinegar and sprinkle with sea salt. Stir and let stand at room temperature while the lentils are cooking.
Drain the lentils and add the red onion, garlic and extra-virgin olive oil. Stir to mix and allow to cool completely.
Once cool, add the roasted tomatoes, cucumber, artichoke, hearts, parsley, and chives. Mix gently. Stir in feta, lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper. Top with garnish.
Recipe Adapted for National Onion Association by Blog Chefs.